View Full Version : Q: about breech babies
I have been thinking lately about what if bubs is breech. I know you would need to have c/section, but i was wondering if you have a history of going early ( like 5 weeks with your first, and 4 weeks with the 2nd and with bubs not fully engaging until your waters break and than born within 10 mins), when would they do a c/section, would they still wait until your 38 weeks?
You don't need to have a c/section for breech. It's just another position :)
You don't need to have a c-section if you don't want one. Breech bubs can be born naturally, or they can turn during labour (like my brother did). I have no idea when they would do a c-section tho, I guess you would just have to discuss that with your dr if the situation arises.
There was another thread earlier about a similar topic...did you see that one?
Not all breech births require a caesarean section. I talked about it hypothetically with my midwife during my last pregnancy (we were talking about Angelina Jolie who had one with Shiloh because she was breech) and my middy said that in most cases, it's perfectly possible to vaginally birth a breech baby - just stand up, you really need to birth standing up (or in an upright position).
i agree just coz bubs is breech doesnt mean you still cant have a vaginal birth :)
I think they just take that as the easy option out in most cases but its pretty much proven you can still deliver
A breech baby doesn't automatically mean that you have to have a c/s. There are many women on Bubhub who have successfully vaginally birthed their "upside down" (or perhaps that should be "right way up" :laughing: ) babies.
You should have a chat to your OB/hospital about your options :)
If you decide that you do want to birth your baby by c/s then I would think that the doctor would like to leave the baby inside for as long as possible. Perhaps you could talk to your OB about going into labour naturally and doing the c/s then.
but wouldn't there be more chances of tearing? I always thought you had to have a c/section...
Might ask them OB on Monday when i see him.. I know i still have ages to go.
Perhaps you could also ask a midwife :) OB's are surgeons, after all, and they tend to prefer the surgical route...
I'm not sure whether they would wait that long but some hospitals have a gestation where they will not even think about doing an elective caesar. No a breech baby does not necessarily equal a caesar but I urge you to consider the risks in all options if this happens to be. They explained all to me and I researched and the caesar was the safest way for my baby and believe me I didn't want one. ECV is an option and sometimes it works out fine but there were far too many scenarios for me to risk.
That's the link to the thread I saw earlier, some of the links might intrest you :)
There is probably not much more risk of tearing delivering a breech bub than there is with a 'normal' bub. I had a 3rd degree tear with DS coz he had his had on his ear when he was born :eek: Tearing probably would depend on the type of breech bub (some are bum first, others are foot/feet first), and also how well your body stretches.
Don't stress, you have ages to go :hugs:
I tried to deliver DD by vb even though she was breech footling and the attending OB never swayed me either way, totally my choice.
I didnt succeed but thats only as I stalled at 9cm, totally unrelated to her position.
There are some OB's that are still more than happy to discuss it, just a matter of finding one thats experienced in breech deliveries.
I would say you would have to discuss your thoughts with your OB as his standards would differ from a lot of others as to when and if he might deliver early etc.
To save posting all the same things twice, have a read of the thread that cwsmum linked to, it's about the same topic. Great info and links in there, have a read :)
Thank you for the link i will have a look...
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.9 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.