cheap fruit and veg and meat??!!
The supermarkets here are driving me crazy - the selection is cr@p and the prices are ridiculous.
We've started going to the fresh food markets at Belconnen - the fruit and veg there is cheaper and there's much more variety, but I'm sure there's more out there.
We're hitting the farmer's market tomorrow, apparently that's pretty good.
But where else is there? Any good butchers around that I need to know about? Hidden away fruit and veg shops? You locals know all the places to go, so share, pretty please:D
We live northside BTW, but don't mind travelling to the southside for a bargain or two, we're often out and about that way.
Id say go to Hightown meats...(hightown??) I think thats right, Ive just moved here from canberra and i used to do all shopping at the one in Queanbeyan (I lived in Ngunnawal). If you go there in the afternoon they have everything marked down and they sell the big bulk packs like half a lamb for 40 bucks...Its really good! Its behind Aldi
High Valley meats (near Aldi in Gungahlin) apparently sell their trays of meat VERY cheaply on a Sunday - a friend who goes there all the time says that they sell them for as little as $2 a tray.....
ok we have meat at charnwood and Gungahlin butchers cheap sometimes and the
Mikes Meats Superstores Belconnen Markets and i think i will see you guys there on the weekend for fruit and veg.
Apparently the farmers market is good but I've never been.
There's the orchard in Pialligo - depending on what's in season of course, but they sell eggs super cheap too.
If you're getting f&v at Belconnen Markets, Tom's is the pick of the stores - def best quality and price.
High Country meats (in several locations) are always great for a bargain and always great quality. Mike's Meats at the markets are OK, but we always end up going back to High Country for the quality. Oh, but take a jacket cos all the meat is kept in a giant cool room!
the farmers market starts at 8am and go's till 11am on a saturday
found what they have there to. and so you guys that what to come it's at epic in the Kosciuszko Building and Kuringai Pavilion
We asked a few people what kinds of products they thought might be offered for sale in the Canberra Region Farmers Market with the following result:
• Organic and specialist products
• Seasonal tomatoes, potatoes, apples, pears
• Peaches and other stone fruit
• Dressings, chutney, beans, marinades, sauces,
• Olive products (fresh olives, pickles and oils)
• Berries, jams, jellies and preserves
• Mushrooms, peas, lettuce, and broccoli
• Beetroot, asparagus, cauliflower and
• Zucchini, silver beet, pumpkins, radish, rhubarb, spinach and rocket
• Avocadoes, artichokes and other specialty lines
• Bok Choy, rice, capsicum, chillies, cucumber,
• Coffee, chocolates, and specialty lines
• Macadamia, almonds, walnuts and nut products
• Plants, trees and seedlings
• Lemons, oranges, mandarins, watermelon, beans, eggplant,
• Dried fruits, glase fruits and frozen berries
• Horticultural support products, manures, mulch, and fertilisers
• Hens, ducks, chickens, birds, geese, etc
• Small livestock, home grown wools, etc
• Meats, smoked meats etc
• Eggs and egg products
• Flowers, roses, cut flowers, arrangements, etc
• Breads, rolls, cakes and regional varieties
• Cheese and cheese products
• Soaps and infused oils
• Organic producers
• Emu oil products
• Fish, oysters and seafood, as well as fish-based products
• Wine and food tasting
• Wines, vinegars and related products
• Garlic, peppers and spices
• Locally produced gardening and horticultural materials and supplies
• Specialty beverages
• Fruit trees and berry bushes
• Bulbs and seeds
• Fruit juices
• Lavender & related products
and for southsiders
Southside Farmers Market
EVERY SUNDAY 9am-12pm
CIT Southside Campus
Ainsworth St Phillip
Yeah, I'm a HUUUUUUUUGE fan of the farmers markets. BTW, I am a veggie, but in my meat-eating days, we used to go th High Country Meats up in Belco - one of the streets off Lathlain, I think, on a Sunday arvo. They have better quality meat than Mikes and often on Sundays, it's marked down. They stay open quite late for a Sunday, too (about 5pm I think, but don't quote me - it's been a while). Also the Asian and Indian grocery stores up the back of Belco are often good for a bargain and have an amazing range of spices and stuff.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.9 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.