View Full Version : Should I have a stretch and sweep?
I am currently 39 1/2 weeks pg. My Oby wants to do a VE and a sweep next week when I am "overdue". How does this relate to getting my successfull Vbac? Will it lead to the old "cascade of intervention"? Has anyone had this done and successfully went into labour soon after and got a Vbac?
Should I say no? Or is it best to get things started this way otherwise she will want to do a csection if I go too far overdue?
Any advise is helpful. Thanks
i have no idea honey - but GOOD LUCK, i pray you go into labour on your own.
Hi Smitten :wave:
Sounds like we're in the same boat!! I am 38.2 weeks and so over it! Just want bub out now so I can cuddle him. I think also I just want an answer to the questions I keep playing over and over in my mind!
Is he going to come naturally?
Will we both be okay?
Can I really do this????? :banghead:
I am even thinking of requesting a S&S just to get things moving!!
unfortunately I can't spread much light on your question except, you need to be a little dialated for a S&S so things must be starting to move for you in regards to progressing! :fingerscrossed: especially if your doc is suggesting it!
Good luck with your VBAC hope it all goes well for you and bubs! Can't wait to hear your story!!
Why rush things?
We all know normal gestation is anywhere between 38-42weeks, your body and baby will decide when they are good and ready.
Its more fun that way :) (surprises!)
Good luck with the VBAC!
my second doctor was always banging on anout bringing the baby on , from 38 weeks. I refused & told him bub would come when he was good & ready.& as for dates - my last bub was 11 days overdue according to the dates they gave me from 3 scans. But when he came out he was on time as he was still covered in vernix & not at all like an overdue bub.
Enjoy the last few weeks. It's last bit of peace n quiet you'll have for years!
I've been told the same thing- however I am not going to consent to a s&s until I'm closer to 42 weeks.
If I'm not ready at 40 then I'm not ready...and a s&s will just be a huge inconvience. Taking the kids to whoever to be looked after, driving to the hospy, waiting to see the doctor, having a painful intervention that will probably lead to no where- well, I could go into labour I guess, but by the time I get home, pick up my kids, miss my sleep etc etc I'll be exhausted. My uterus could also just get irritated and start contracting but not doing anything- no thanks..
I figure that it's just not worth the effort, cause if I'm close to being ready, then it will only be a few days, and I'll be better rested if I let nature take it's course.
I also had a uterine infection after my last birth, which was horrid. The risk of infection is raised everytime someone does an internal...
there are many other things you can do to get ready for labour, taking Evening Primrose Oil (if you feel right about it), homeopathic remedies, being relaxed, nipple stimulation, sex...but nothing's going to work unless it's time!
anyway- that's my two bobs worth.
I am going for a vbac and have no intention of getting any intervention to start my labor. though medically I dont think a s&s will have any impact on your chance of having a succesful vbac, if thats what you want to do! Though stay away from gels or tablets they put in your cervix to dialte as I have read they are dangerous if you are trying for a vbac as well as pitocin!
I agree the less medical intervention, the better.
I've had 2 VBACs and my Ob and I agreed that we would do NOTHING until 42 weeks if we were both well and that after that we would do ultrasounds etc to see if bub was ok and then see how we went.
The best way to have a successful VBAC is to go into labour spontaneously. So my advice is to wait until 10 days overdue at the absolute earliest. If you're not quite ready to go into labour the S & S might get you started but it might be very slow and you might end up with a c-section. If you at least wait until 10 days over you might be getting closer and the S & S might help.
If your Ob starts getting antsy ask him/her to do ultrasound or a trace to check on baby's condition. If all is well, do nothing!!
I went into spontaneous labour with both my VBACs and they were pretty straightforward and easy natural births. 16 hours from the 1st contraction with DD1 and 4.5 hours with DD2. I didn't need stitches or an episiotomy with either, didn't have an epidural or pethidine and felt great afterwards (a little sore and empty). I walked to my room and could be with my family and breastfeed straightaway.
Remind yourself why you want a VBAC and remember what to do! No induction of any sort unless you're REALLY overdue or there's a proper medical reason!
Best wishes for a truly wonderful birth!
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.9 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.