View Full Version : Anyone else?
Anyone else out there have a child who has suffers from Anaphyalaxis?
My 9 yr old has anaphyalactic reactions to walnuts and peanuts, it would be great to hear from other mums who have to deal with this scary condition.
My hubby gets it too, but not from nuts. His first episode came on so fast and we didn't realise how serious it was. He stopped breathing when we got to the Drs surgery, his lips were blue, they couldn't find the adrenaline. They finally got it into him but I can't get him to take his epi-pen anywhere.
Having a bubby with it must be even scarier - it's way too common these days.
My daughter has just turned 6yrs old and she has severe allergies to eggs and peanuts but we have been advised to avoid ALL nuts......
I am pretty scared a bout her starting full time school this year as I am so worried how she will be with being exposed to so many foods that have or may contain traces of egges and/or nuts.........
And to try and find food for her lunch box! Well that is another issue in itself!!!
I'd like to be able to chat to other parents who also have to deal with issue of a child having a life threatening allergy.
Thank God MJ seems to be healthy, but my 13 yr old niece is highly allergic to nuts, eggs, dust, animals......pretty much life :( She also has to have an epi pen on her at all times. She's been great though, reads all the packaging of food she eats & luckily we've never had a major reaction other than her first encounter with peanut butter before we knew :eek:
Hope all your little ones never have to use the pen :)
Thanks girls for replying :)
~ rynosmum, tell you dh he is very naughty for not caring his epi pen everywhere in him, you never know when you can eat something you think is ok, only to discover it has something that triggers an allergy.
~ paddlepop, i try to avoid all nuts with my ds as well, even thought the specialist said walnuts and peanuts are the ones that he is severly allergic to, i once observed him have a very bad allergic to pine nuts at a markets when he sampled some pesto whilst i was chatting to the lady behind the counter, although not quite bad enough for the epi pen, we did have to get some phenergen into him, and he was vomiting and itchy and finding it a bit hard to breathe.
~ RB, now my son is older ,he is great to, always asking everyone 'does that have nuts in it ?' and refusing to eat anything if they are unsure of what is in it. his school is very good as well, they have his pic up in the office and playground, and an action plan of what to do if he does come into contact with nuts.
How terribly frightening & worrying for everyone who has children with these allergic reactions.
One of my friend's sons has the same sort of reaction to kiwi fruit...they found out because she kept insisting he eat fruit (as a mum does) and she made him try kiwi fruit, next thing they're at the hospital. Little Sam pipes up, "See mum, I told you I hate kiwi fruit!":o
At Jesse's kinder there is a little girl who has severe a anaphyalactic reaction to all nuts. Therefore, there is a 'no nut policy' in place and when the children come in for their session they wash their hands first just in case anyone has had peanut butter for breakfast etc...such a small thing to do to ensure that this little girl is safe. I can't imagine how hard it would be to send your child off to school/care/kinder not knowing what other children may have in their snack/lunch boxes.
thought i'd join in-my ds george is allergic to milk,wheat and soy, but we are dealing with it. I have become a manic packet reader, and he has a cupboard with 'safe' food in it. However mistakes happen, and he managed to eat some special k last week which resulted in 24 hour stay at the hospital. We have gone through 3 epi pens since he was diagnosed last year, and i daren't leave him with anyone except dh or mum or dad. My in-laws are way to old and forgetful, everytime we go there they try and give him a lump of bread or a bickie or something! :eek:
Anyway, the list has gone down drastically in the 18 months since he was diagnosed, so fingers crossed he grows out of the rest too....am dreading him starting school!
So glad you are all here.....my 17mth old DS was diagnosed with a peanut allergy on Monday but I walked out of the doctor's office feeling a little confused.
He has prescribed two epi-pens and explained we needed to avoid all nuts.
But it all seemed quite casual and kind of like...."better get you the epi-pens in case you need them" as opposed to "because you definitely need them".
Can you tell how severe the allergy is, or is it the unfortunate situation where the first attack demonstrates the severity?
Do we just assume that he is at risk of anaphylaxis?
(The reason we went to the Dr was that he chewed on a crust with some peanut butter on it and he immediately broke out in hives all around his mouth - so is that as bad as it gets or does each exposure make the allergy worse?)
So many questions - but would love to hear of your experience or get your advice.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.9 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.