PDA

View Full Version : It Hurts to Poo

Seekrit
19-01-2006, 17:45
I have to ask this. It's embarressing. But hey. We all know what we're going through.

My poo hurts. Yup, I said it.
I'm a small, quick pooer. My poo isn't really sloppy but it's soft, yanno. I like my poo, it's comfortable.
But since being pregnant (and going on the tablets) my poo hurts. I don't know if it has rocks it in it like feels like it does or if it's just bigger than what it should be.. but oh my lordy it hurts. Sometimes there's some blood on my toilet paper too, for that first wipe, having me assume that it's so big that it's cut me. :eek:

Enough poo talk. The main basis for this post is - My poo hurts, what can I do to make it unhurt? Metamucil?

the_queen
19-01-2006, 17:48
LOL nothing's too embarassing when you're pregnant!! Wait until you're pushing that bubs out, and you poo in front of everyone!!!:p

OK, I wouldn't go for the metamucil as my first option. Drink heaps and heaps of water, that lubricates everything inside. Eat heaps and heaps of fruit, kiwifruit are very good for this purpose (my MW says eat it with the skin on :eek: it provides "roughage" personally I can't do that because it tastes like, well, kiwifruit skin) Prunes and pears are also good too.

Good luck!

Ffrenchknickers
19-01-2006, 17:50
LOL, im glad i've already had my dinner:rolleyes: :p :eek:

Seriously, queenies ideas are good..the hormones soften all the intestinal muscles and they can become sluggish. You need more water. You could try having bran for brekky and prunes:)

[Mod] veve
19-01-2006, 17:52
I am personally a fan of metamucil- it is my life line since leaving the hospital with bubs... I think the orange one tastes ok ... and the fibre cant hurt!!!

and dont be embarassed :) - since we had a thread on Haemorrhoids there is no looking back!!!

I know that the midwife that ran our prenatal classes recommended that we drink pear juice?? apparently it is really high in fibre (and tastes ok too :D ) - better than prune juice!!!

hope it helps!!

xxx

Seekrit
19-01-2006, 17:52
LOL nothing's too embarassing when you're pregnant!! Wait until you're pushing that bubs out, and you poo in front of everyone!!!:p

OK, I wouldn't go for the metamucil as my first option. Drink heaps and heaps of water, that lubricates everything inside. Eat heaps and heaps of fruit, kiwifruit are very good for this purpose (my MW says eat it with the skin on :eek: it provides "roughage" personally I can't do that because it tastes like, well, kiwifruit skin) Prunes and pears are also good too.

Good luck!
Hrm. I HEAPS of water, so it's not that problem.
I know I lack fruit in my diet. I've never been a fruit lover (although I DO like Kiwifruit) and I hate pears. I think I might call husband and ask him to get a heap of kiwifruit on the way home from work. :D

I've been told all about pooing in front of all and sundry. I couldn't care less if that happens.. I just don't want it to be a large, hurty poo! :o

ElizaDee
19-01-2006, 18:43
Seekrit I am sooo glad you posted this, I have that problem too but mine will take three days to come out :eek: I was never very regular but three days is a long time. I will go and buy some kiwis and see if that helps me.

Oh and I have never heard of doing a poo at birth, what a great time to do that, must warn DH! LOL

LilShenanigans
19-01-2006, 18:47
I had that problem from time to time - time to time being I changed my iron intake.

I was on Elevit and because I was getting quite enough iron in diet and tablet that messed around with my bowel system...

It actually says in most cases of problems of this sort it's usually iron - have you looked into that?

Otherwise, if I needed to regulate it and still take my tabs, I had to eat the fruits and stop craving so much red meat :o Mind you, Im not much of a fan of fruit either, so one banana a day :p

Seekrit
19-01-2006, 19:02
when I had my initial bloods done it was found I was quite low in iron, so I was taking fefol which had me have these big (HUGE) forest green poos, once every 3 or 4 days! :o I was mortified. But when I finished the pack and started taking the blackmores stuff I went to daily, normal colour poos only BIG ones!
So I do assume it is iron.. but what can I do to counter that?

wattle
19-01-2006, 19:22
Perhaps it might be worth checking for haemmies. Icky I know, but if that's the problem and some cream can help, you'll be feeling a lot happier very soon.

Seekrit
19-01-2006, 19:27
waaaa don't tell me that.

How do I check for haemmys? do I tell my doctor? :/

wattle
19-01-2006, 19:42
I think they feel a bit like a small bunch of grapes around your anus. Sorry if TMI - but we're all going to think about it at some stage. Often a bit of blood is a sign of them.

A special haemmy cream will usually do the trick which you can buy at the chemist or priceline etc.

If you're a contortionist (?sp) have a look yourself with a mirror, or else ask hubby .......hehe, he'll lurve you for that one :eek:

You could check on the internet to see what they look like, but that might scare you, and you might not even have them, so have a little feel first. ewww.:o

Seekrit
19-01-2006, 19:44
LOL isn't this a great topic! haha

When I wipe I don't feel them, IYKWIM.
I'll get husband to have a look.. he'll probably take it as a come on tho' :eek:

draught
19-01-2006, 19:45
If there is some blood the other option is an anal fissure. With both haemmies or a fissure the big tip is to get that fibre and water happening and keep it up. A fissure can heal itself, and haemmies can reduce and become less painful, but you have to fix the problem from the inside otherwise when you are pushing out a baby you can also do all sorts of nasty things to your bum (to use the gentlist phrase I could find!) All the extra hormones and pressure, plus the iron thing, can wreak havoc in the nether regions.

Kiwifruit are great but I also recommend all bran and weetbix for breakfast - and if you can combine all three you are on the road to recovery. As for water - drink it all day long - helps with pregnancy headaches too!!!!

jayney
19-01-2006, 19:45
Hey Ladies,

Seekrit I am having exactly the same problem. My OB put me on Movicol and it took a few days but was more harsh. She then recommended Normafibre which is gentler but I still find I cannot go everyday. When I do the whole of Moorooka knows about it. I have to let everyone know.

I drink heaps of water and have been forcing myself to have more fruit. Eat an orange each day or even juice an orange and have about 5 prunes a day. It seems to help a little bit but I am still struggling with it.

Let me know if you have any luck or can recommend anything else for me.

I am not a cereal eater

Seekrit
19-01-2006, 19:46
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I AM NEVER GOING TO GOOGLE HAEMMIES AGAIN!!!!!

reAllytee
19-01-2006, 20:04
Its more than likely a fissure i have this problem as i have Irritable Bowel & it sucks so i go from say a week of no poo :eek: to then having the runs for 2wks & stress adds to it so its horrible. I often get the fissures when i havent been for ages the then they are too firm etc. I actually loved being pregnant cause that was the only time i was "normal & regular" LOL sorry TMI !!!!!! :o
Be wary of the likes of metamucil as it can actually cause more harm than good espcially in my circumstances it can. Same goes with certain other natural remedies as it can make the bowel lazy. My chemist kept wanting me to have an enema :eek:
Try heaps of fruit especially prunes !!! Even drink prune juice it aint that great but it gets the jobs done IYKWIM ! Otherwise try having a really good cereal every day like Special K or Weetbix as this can be something that gets your system going :)
Good luck !!!

Mummy_Johnno
19-01-2006, 20:11
I was told that we really shouldnt have to struggle to push out poo when pregnant or infact ever really as it stretches your pelvic floor. But sometimes you just gotta push!

I have been eating lots of grapes and peaches. I am also a huge fan of cereal (probably a craving of mine) especially weetbix with honey.

You all have totally FREAKED ME OUT about pooing when giving birth. I dont even fart in front of people. I have not ever felt comfy farting infront of my partner! LOL and now you tell me i could poo ......... Oh my God ladies

I will have to make sure i push a poo out and clear the way long before baby is ready to come out

drewid
19-01-2006, 20:20
You all have totally FREAKED ME OUT about pooing when giving birth. I dont even fart in front of people. I have not ever felt comfy farting infront of my partner! LOL and now you tell me i could poo ......... Oh my God ladies

I will have to make sure i push a poo out and clear the way long before baby is ready to come out

LOL. Your body will prepare itself appropriately and usually you are all clear before you get to the pushing point :) BUT, you will be soooooo busy at that point that unless the midwife tells you have pooed, you WILL NOT KNOW! Seriously, nothing to worry about in the slightest!!

Seekrit
19-01-2006, 20:20
how confusing this whole pregnancy thing is. I've been told that eating wheat is bad for me so I should steer clear of weetbix and the sort. :eek:
I love my weetbix tho' :D I'll get right onto it!

littlepickle
19-01-2006, 20:29
Heheheh, what a cool post!
Seekri, whatever you do, dont do what I did! I had this problem and bought a bag of juicy prunes, anyway, I didnt realise that I was only supposed to eat a few and almost polished off the whole bag:eek: I was in agony, my stomach swelled up so that I looked about 8 months pregnant and I couldnt move - and the wind!!! God it was awfull!!!
Now I eat 2 dried apricots with my cereal in the morning and that seems to work, but it is mainly due to the iron in the elevit I am told! Thats why poos are a erm.. darker umm green colour :D

Moral of the story - Do not eat a bag full of prunes!!

[Mod] veve
19-01-2006, 20:35
bought a bag of juicy prunes, anyway, I didnt realise that I was only supposed to eat a few and almost polished off the whole bag:eek: I was in agony, my stomach swelled up so that I looked about 8 months pregnant and I couldnt move - and the wind!!! God it was awfull!!!

oh dear... oh dear. .. ROFL --- sorry littlepickle... but my DH and I love toilet humour... and you made us both laugh out loud ((hugs))

thanks !!!

xxx

Seekrit
19-01-2006, 20:36
Heheheh, what a cool post!
Seekri, whatever you do, dont do what I did! I had this problem and bought a bag of juicy prunes, anyway, I didnt realise that I was only supposed to eat a few and almost polished off the whole bag:eek: I was in agony, my stomach swelled up so that I looked about 8 months pregnant and I couldnt move - and the wind!!! God it was awfull!!!
Now I eat 2 dried apricots with my cereal in the morning and that seems to work, but it is mainly due to the iron in the elevit I am told! Thats why poos are a erm.. darker umm green colour :D

haha I'm sorry, I laughed so loudly.

When I was taking Fefol (folate and iron) my poo was this really forest green colour O_O

littlepickle
19-01-2006, 20:47
Heheheh, I am a big fan of toilet humour myself - always good for a laugh! I will add that during the incident in question, I got no sympathy at all from DH, he was laughing so much, then he decided to sleep downstairs due to the obvious um side effect of having a stomach full of gas - Mortified!!

Seekrit
19-01-2006, 20:51
I'm still laughing :D

Chris and I are so toilet humour junkies. well him more than I. But.. gah.. :D I love a good poo joke.

reAllytee
19-01-2006, 21:11

Oh im sorry im killing myself laughing here sorry i shouldnt but i cant help it !
I was EXACTLY like you i wouldnt even show a little skin to others IYKWIM i was always modest etc but seriously you wont even give a d*mn by the time bubs is coming along !
You dont even know you poo its natural it happens its taken away without you even realising ! Try not to fret now as honestly you wont even worry in the end !

I had the assisting anethetist (sp?) turn around when i changed out of my nightie into the hospital gown so i could have my epi ! I nearly tapped him on the shoulder & said " look mate everyone has seen all sorts of things today & i feel like everyone has had a good look so you might as well" LOL whereas my mother thought he was a gentleman !!! LOL
My mum always told me you lose your modesty having a baby & i would always say "i will not!!!!" well trust me i did !
Just like you will soon learn you dont get any peace even in the loo once bubs is born !

littlepickle - Sorry i laughed even harder over yours i actually near choked on my lollie !!!! Man thats just sooooo funny !!!!! :D

moonblossom
19-01-2006, 21:28
Sorry Seekrit, I was trying not to laugh, I mean HONESTLY trying not to laugh, but I did, and now i'm gunna cop it cos Karma always gets me LOL

Ky
19-01-2006, 23:01
The hospitals in NZ always have bottles of crushed kiwifruit on hand for this very purpose. it was great ... for everyone but me ... I was allergic to kiwifruit as a kid and wasn't going to test the allergy to see if I had grown out of it while in hospital 30 odd weeks pregnant with Daniel - lol!

Fortunately, I have since found out that I have grown out of the allergy, so will give it a go next time.

Baby Girl
19-01-2006, 23:11
INSERT TMI WARNING HERE!!!

Seekrit, I would say haemmies are looking good at this point!! Sorry. I had them during both pg's and they weren't terrible (not like grapes or anything), I had maybe one or two little lumps just on the inside. I used a cream both times. After giving birth to DD1 they were awful but with a bit of TLC (cream, cushion and the right type of fibre) I was okay again in a few weeks. I did make DH hold my hands so I could squeeze his fingers while I was going to the toilet a couple of times - kind of like moral support!!! Brought us even closer:eek: !!! While I was giving birth to DD2 (TMI warning here!!) the midwife put 2 fingers against my bum hole and applied pressure as I was pushing her (DD2 not the midwife) out and I never had a problem with my haemmies after she was born. I felt kind of violated at the time but was grateful afterwards.

They never go away once you get them but they do shrink and you can live quite fine with them and never be bothered by them but if they get really bad you can have an operation to have them removed.

P.S. As for pooing while giving birth, you can ask for an enema when you get to hospital to help clear out the passage so you are less likely to have an explosion :eek: during pushing. I didn't bother as at the time it was the furthest thing from my mind. But it is an option.

♥Heaven Sent♥
20-01-2006, 02:16
A really good thing for constipation and tastes really good is apple and mango juice i had to stop drinking it cause i was going to the toilet 3 times a day.I have quite the opposite prob when im pregnant i get diahrea EWW!:eek:

Carmel Jane
21-01-2006, 16:51
Hi Everyone,

Its great we can speak so freely about every aspect of pregnancy, the warm fuzzy ones and the not so fuzzy ones!

Seekrit you may just be like me, I get constipated every now and again because I work in a hot climate and the dehydration that is inevitable (I drink between 5 - 7 litres water a day!) can cause it. So when I am constipated I find I bleed a little bit too, I've been checked out and am all good, its just that I tear a little bit, cos I have sensitive skin and a small... umm you know what!

So you might just have that, get checked out too... but try not to worry too much.

I think I prefer apple & mango to a bag of prunes anyday! lol :D

Take care all,

hayleylea
21-01-2006, 18:41
I had a hard time pooing after i had bubs. It hurt like hell, i went to the doc for my check up and he checked it as i had also had blood when i wiped (:o how embarrasing i cant believe im telling you guys this haha) Anywho it turns out i had a tear in my bum hole HAHA! :o It was caused by a big poo or something he said....thats why it hurt when i pooed and thats why there was blood. Hope you enjoyed my story :p :o

shereejoy
22-01-2006, 19:00
My mother inlaw suggested dry figs, apparently they are really good for you.

lil monkey
22-01-2006, 21:51
hey!

not sure if this has been mentioned but when i was pregnant and on elavit, i would have some licorice every day as that is a natural laxative and would offset the iron in the elavit tablets!

Mummy_Johnno
23-01-2006, 07:27
I am glad i made some of you smile and laugh he he he .....

I have heard that when you give birth you loose all modesty but pooing ..... it may take some time to sink in ...... i will keep you informed when Lucas arrives on April 14th.

Seekrit
25-01-2006, 06:57
I would like to report, that thanks to your fantastic advice of fruit, fibre, and pear juice... this morning's poop was painless and quick! :D

♥Heaven Sent♥
25-01-2006, 21:06
Thats good seekrit hope it stays that way there is a new product called benifibre u can get it from the chemist or supermarket its great it is a powder and u can put it in any drinks and even yogurt and the best thing is it has no taste watsoever.

KLM1975
09-02-2006, 09:50
wow, what an interesting thread!! all these thoughts and experiences i have just been having myself!!! i've always had a hard time being regular...either too hard or too easy for me to go! since i've been preg i have noticed i've been more constipated. i am trying to eat fruit and fibre....but hard when all i feel like is KFC chips! i had some metamucil the other day with the view to having one every day...but that just bloated me senseless and i was in the worst pain with wind!! even when i sat down, just the pressure on my butt caused pain......god men get it easy don't they???